Closing of the online residence permit request service for British citizens residing in France
Residence permit application for British nationals and their family members who are beneficiaries of the withdrawal agreement
Since March 1, 2022, the online service which has enabled British nationals benefiting from the United Kingdom's withdrawal agreement from the EU (because of their residence in France before January 1, 2021) and their family members to file an application for a residence permit “Withdrawal Agreement” is closed.
British nationals and their family members who are beneficiaries of the withdrawal agreement must now submit their residence permit applications directly to the prefectures or sub-prefectures on which they depend.
Indeed, the benefit of the withdrawal agreement remains open without a deadline to persons who are in one of the following situations:
the child (British citizen or from a third country) of a British national who is a beneficiary of the withdrawal agreement (or of the spouse of the latter), reaching the age of 18; the application must be submitted within one year of the 18th birthday;
- the family member (British citizen or from a third country) who entered France after January 1, 2021, if their family relationship with a British beneficiary of the agreement predates this date; the application for a residence permit must be submitted within 3 months of entry, no long-stay visa will be required. The persons concerned are:
- the direct descendant under the age of 21 or dependant of the British national;
- the dependent direct relative in the ascending line of the British national;
- the spouse of the British national or the partner with whom the British national has a durable relationship, duly attested;
- the direct relative in the ascending line or the direct descendant, dependent on the spouse of the British national;
the children of the British national born after January 1, 2021 or adopted by him after this date
NB: the minor children of the beneficiaries of the withdrawal agreement can, on request, be issued a free travel document called “document de circulation pour étranger mineur”.
- British nationals and their family members (as defined above, to which are added the spouses and partners of French nationals whose family ties predate January 1, 2021) claiming a reasonable grounds to justify the late submission of their application for a residence permit (i.e. after October 4, 2021). For example, it may be force majeure events, health reasons, difficulties in returning to France due to the pandemic, professional reasons, etc.
|Access the French version|